Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Equipment Rundown 1


So I thought that I should talk about what I actually do during a session a bit before I demonstrate during my presentation. The following is a list of some of my pieces of recording equipment and what all they do.



This is my amp. 

Well is actually not mine. It's my Mom's old JVC amp/radio/phono that she used when she had a turntable. What's that? What are records? Ew. But it works well, and I can use it to power my newer speakers using some newer technology! I run the L/R (red and white) audio cables from a tri-color cord I took from an old dvd player, and stick the other ends right into my audio interface, so I can do direct playback from my computer. The controls that you see (from L to R) are: the Power button, and underneath, a headphone port. The vertical sliders are mixers that control bass, middle, and treble. The two little buttons control the speakers. The orange light is on when the amp is on. The horizontal slider controls the output volume. The buttons to the right control the setting of the amp. Choices are: AM, FM, AUX, Phono, Tape, etc. I have it on AUX because I have an auxiliary cable plugged in for my speaker output from my computer. The screen shows AM/FM radio frequencies, and the tuner on the right controls the radio. Not pictured is the back of the amp, where all of the cords are. The speakers, audio cables, power cable, and radio antena are the only things attached to the back - not important. 


These are my audio interfaces. 

The top one is an M-Audio Fast Track, and I use it for tracking vocals, guitars/bass, and also for playback. It connects to my computer using a USB cord, which also powers the interface. An instrument is plugged into the interface, and then can be inputted directly into my computer. The controls that you see (from L to R) are: Mic Input, which controls the levels of the mic that is plugged in. The next knob controls the amount of playback volume verses the amount of input volume. This is for when recording, so that you can find a balance where you hear enough of what's already there, (including the metronome, or, "click") as well as what you are currently trying to record. The button in the middle controls mono versus stereo output, which basically means that you are either listening to a balance of everything in both ears, or specific things in specific ears, depending on where they are placed. The next feature is a headphone port, where you can see that I have headphones plugged in. The last knob controls the output volume, which could either be headphone volume, speaker volume, or both, depending on how I want to do playback at any given time. Not pictured is the back, which features the inputs. There is one mic input, one 1/4" input (used for guitar/bass or "line in" inputs, which are auxiliary inputs like pedals and keyboards), a button that lets you switch between guitar and line functions, the audio cables, and the USB cable. 

The bottom one is a Tascam US-800, and I use it purely for tracking drums. The reason why I do this is because it has 6 mic inputs, making it so that I can mic up my drum kit much more effectively than with a 1 mic input. This makes it so that I can do all of the drums in one take, rather than having to only do a portion of the kit in one take, and another portion in another take, and so on. It also connects to my computer using USB, but has a separate power cord. The sticker is from a clothing company that I like called Glamour Kills, whose logo is a flying pig. I don't know. The controls that you see (from L to R) are: 2 different headphone ports for different types/sizes of headphones. The next two knobs control volume of playback. One is labeled Phones, and is purely for headphones. The other is labeled Monitor, and is for output only. The next six knobs are labeled 1-6, and control the mic input of the respective input. The two things on the right are the first two inputs. Not pictured is the back, which features the rest of the inputs. There are 4 more inputs like those on the front, and then two MIDI inputs, used for a special kind of keyboard/synthesizer. There are also audio cable outputs, the USB cable, and the power cable. 


1 comment: