Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Journal 1

Dear Reader,

      This blog is created for the sole purpose of journaling and recording my experiences alongside my WISE project. I am very interested in working on the production side of music, where I hope to record and engineer. I have a moderate background in this field, being in a band. My band has recorded at several studios in the area, and we actually now have a recording contract with an independant record label, and are in the process of recording our debut album. Going into the studio and riding shotgun to the in-house engineer really got me hooked on the whole process. Producing, recording, engineering, mixing, and mastering songs all by myself would be a great project for me because it gives me a chance to learn so much more about something that I’m already very interested in, but haven’t yet had the time or opportunity to explore more thoroughly.

In a project spanning approximately 16 weeks, it will be important for me to spend my time wisely, especially considering the amount of work that will need to be put into a project of this caliber. My current plans are as follows:

1. Acquire specific recording equipment that I don’t already have
2. Create a “home studio” where I can do all of my work
3. Locate musicians who are willing to work collaboratively
4. Write/practice songs
5. Demo songs/pre-production
6. Talk about/shape/fix/add to/produce songs to make them better
7. Officially record songs
8. Edit and mix tracks
9. Learn how to and then master tracks
10. Create a finished product
(all of this while learning how to use new recording software on my own through experimentation and seeking and collecting information from various sources).


Hope you enjoy my blog posts!

--St. John Faulkner

1 comment:

  1. Hey St. John,

    Why not condense your dear reader--make it more you, less your proposal (cut and past anyone?) ;)

    Also, look forward to reading your 2 week plan...

    Ms. L

    ReplyDelete