Sunday, February 24, 2013

Learning By Doing

One half of the mixing board in the engine room at On Point Productions.
In this field, that's really what it's all about. Lucky for me, I get to experience this kind of hands-on learning all the time, due to my frequent visits to On Point Productions in Binghamton, New York. There, I work alongside Damien Cornwell, the resident engineer and owner of the studio. He and I are recording and producing my band's debut full-length album together, and so we have become relatively close. I've learned a lot from him already, just by being around him. Another reason why I feel I learn so much is that I ask a lot of questions. Probably far too many in his opinion. I can't help it though, I'm just far too curious about these things. I find it all to be so interesting. Last Sunday, we had an 8 hour day in the studio, where we finished up the recording process and were able to start preparing for the mixing process. We came to the conclusion that we would spend 60 hours mixing the album. It's tough to get up to the studio as often as everyone would like, because we're all busy, etc. This being the case, we're trying to aim for a May release for the album. This is really cool because it seems that my project will be wrapping up at around the same time, and for them to coincide seems really neat to me. Anyways, all of the time that I am about to start spending in the studio mixing and editing and really bringing our music to life will be the best kind of research I feel that I could really ever get. I will try to post a blog about each visit, but that may become too routine and/or redundant. I'm excited to really get things going with BOTH of these projects, and there will be much more info to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment